Dwarf Fortress with Tarn Adams Holiday Repeat
Software Engineering Daily,
Originally posted on Software Engineering Daily
Originally published October 22, 2015
“The official motto that we have in our help manual is ‘Losing is fun!’ ”
Dwarf Fortress is a construction and management simulation computer game set in a procedurally generated fantasy world in which the player indirectly controls a group of dwarves, and attempts to construct a successful underground fortress.
Tarn Adams works on Dwarf Fortress with his brother Zach.
- What is the objective of Dwarf Fortress?
- Does the way you’ve designed the gameplay reflect any philosophy about life that you have?
- What language is Dwarf Fortress written in?
- Do people build constructs in Dwarf Fortress that you would never have expected?
- Did your studying complex math at Stanford affect how you’ve developed Dwarf Fortress?
- What advice would you give to developers listening that want to create their own game?