Ep. 142 – Codeland - Codeland - Mental Health talks from Michelle Morales and Greg Baugues
Originally posted on Code Newbie
This episode features two talks on mental health that explore two very different sides of this important topic. Michelle’s talk is a technical showcase of how her research project uses open source tools to better diagnose depression. Greg shares his personal struggles with ADHD and bipolar disorder, and how important it is for us to openly talk about mental health.
- Flatiron School (sponsor)
- Hover (sponsor)
- Incapsula (sponsor)
- CodeNewbie YouTube channel
- Codeland, CodeNewbie's conference - April 21 & 22 in NYC
- CUNY Graduate Center
- Tom Insel's TED talk on depression
- Audio/Visual Emotion and Depression Recognition dataset
- DAIC-WOZ Database
- IBM Watson Speech to Text
- Natural Language Processing
- Machine Learning
- Feature Extraction
- Automatic Speech Recognition
- 718-312-8335 (Greg's mental health resource number)
Michelle is a Ph.D. Candidate in Computational Linguistics at the CUNY Graduate Center. She is also a researcher and web developer at the Futures Initiative. Her main research interests are Natural Language Processing for mental health applications and open source technologies.
Greg serves on the Developer Community team at Twilio and lives in Brooklyn with his wife, daughter, and dog. He occasionally sneaks out during lunch to play chess in the park.